Monday, May 11, 2009

Work, Work, Work

I'm planting, I planted, I'm a Gardner

Vivian and I finally planted the rest of our garden on Saturday. Just the usual stuff. I love watermelon so I planted seeds in about 7 different places to see which soil works best. Come visit around August and you can help us decide. My strawberries are looking great and if we have a week of warm weather, I should be able to pick the first batch.

Yesterday was Mothers Day. I am grateful that all the boys called to talk to their mom. Brandon and I got up and made her breakfast. She doesn't like to eat in bed so we made it and invited her downstairs. For dinner she said she wanted something low cal and healthy. I made salmon and halibut that I got from Alaska and then I made a glaze to go over the fish. We also had new potatoes and peas in a cream sauce, corn on the cob, carrots with butter and brown sugar, beets, and ...oh ya....shrimp. It was awesome. For desert I made an angel food cake with strawberries and whipped cream.

Did I mention I miss my mom. You guys don't remember her too well and I haven't done a very good job of telling you about her. Maybe I will do a little more of that in these blogs. You all know she loved to cook and made us try all kinds of weird stuff; cows tongue, kidneys, liver, tripe, goat head cheese, etc. But most of the time we ate great. She was an artist and decorated cakes. Fancy cakes with kool-aid fountains in them, mirrors, and crystal glasses. I dropped the top to one at my aunt Myrtle's wedding. Mom spent the whole wedding in the kitchen making emergency repairs. She had just finished telling someone to let me carry the top because I had such steady hands. She was very spiritual and had dreams and visions that nearly always came true. She milked cows when she was young and even when I was wrestling in high school her hands were stronger than mine. She could grip your had and you couldn't get loose until she let go. She was like mom in that she could talk to anyone and they would soon be friends.

I will add more later for now, I hope that you are sweet to your lovely wives. We miss you and look forward to seeing you all soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment